Wednesday, April 23, 2014

020_input + output

I started to think about my concept, and what my input and output could be for the project.

What interested me about my site is the juxtaposition between distance and proximity, and how one might sense distance - whether it is though sound, touch, smell, taste or seeing. The reason distance and proximity struck me as a potential input about my chosen site is that one of the elements on my site is the Ingham Multiplication farm. This consists of 56 sheds on a very wide plot composed of grass and rolling hills. The site feels very remote, but if one were to go inside the sheds, they would find a very closely packed space. The difference between the activity within the sheds and the amount of area each chicken is allocated, and the comparatively vast area of the plot, is something I could potentially investigate through my analogue.

Another more literal input could be the wind over the rolling hills. This strikes me as I think you could create something quite beautiful and poetic, and having something that responds to the wind by creating a sound or a light.  Two such projects I have found online that has investigated the wind as an input, or sound or light as an output are:


Dandelion a wearable portable piece with spinning blades that generate electricity to power an LED in the center of each windmill.



The Story of the Wind, a project from the Copenhagen Institute of Interactive Design where,

" The dress has two main inputs. First, there is input from the movement when the user shapes the dress to capture the wind. The other input is the strength of the wind as it is captured by the fabric. As the user experiences the gentleness or forcefulness of the wind, they are also able to hear the wind in different way.  We were able to achieve this system by using a Lilypad Arduino and conductive thread to connect sensors. With the intensity of the wind, data is collected by a piezo sensor that is then translated into sound. Depending on the shape that the user creates to capture the wind, data from tilt sensors also change the expression of this sound."



Wingsz  is another project that while doesn't involve an input/output, the forms created by the wind and the relationship to the body are very poetic. 



Another beautiful object that doesn't necessarily have an input/output are these kinetic wing jewelry by Dukno Yoon, where the movement of a persons fingers make the wings "fly".


A proximity responsive LED table by Graham Monahan

Some initial brainstorming:



No comments:

Post a Comment